Running a small business is difficult. Keeping up with your finances, dealing with clients, handling staff… all whilst trying to enjoy your work and maintain a personal life. It’s understandable then that a lot of business owners never really think seriously about growth, they focus more on sustainability than growing their small business. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with this as long you’re turning a profit and are happy with the direction you’re going in, but if you ever want to be wiping your backside with “fifty’s”, you’ve gotta grow and grow and grow!
So belatedly, here are 3 marketing strategies that will help grow your small business.
1. Mobile Marketing
Over the past few years we’ve seen mobile overtake desktop both in terms of usage and search. To hit you with some facts; 80% of all internet users own a smartphone, smartphone conversion rates are up 64% compared to the average desktop conversion rates and by 2019 mobile advertising will represent 72% of all digital ad spending. Bear in mind that those are just some of the facts around mobile marketing, there are many more!
What these stats do show though is that your business should be utilising mobile marketing in some way, if not completely. This includes methods like SMS messaging, in-game/app marketing and even just having a mobile friendly website. Pinterest, which is the most mobile friendly social network, boasts 64% of referred traffic which comes from smartphones or tablet devices. Another strong example of mobile marketing is mobile apps as they account for 89% of all mobile media time, with the other 11% being spent on websites. Obviously having/building an app might not necessarily be feasible for some small businesses due to financial restrictions but it’s an idea for the future!
2. Social Media Marketing
Social media has boomed with the rise of the “digital age” and it is only going to get bigger. At present, there is an estimated 1.65 billion active mobile social accounts globally with 1 million new active social users joining every day. Snapchat alone hits 10 billion daily video views, not to mention the fact that Instagram adds 100 million users in 6 months and that almost two thirds of Whatsapp users are online more than once daily. Social media marketing has already surpassed television in terms of ad spend, with eMarketer stating that ad spending will reach over 35 billion dollars in 2017 which will make up 16% of all digital advertising.
So why is this good for you business? Well the increase in spend means that much more attention and interest is being taken in social media platforms which in turn means that you are pretty much guaranteed to have an audience. The fact that it has surpassed television means that it has become much more accessible to you and your business, not everybody could have an advert on television but anybody can run ads on social media platforms, regardless of their financial position. Also it’s worth remembering that the possibilities with social media are endless, content goes viral regularly across all platforms so whether you spend 0 or 100 pounds you never know quite where you’ll end up! (although it’s worth tracking your advertising statistics just in case!).
3. Video Marketing
Video is the future. Video is the future of digital marketing and hopefully the future of your businesses next marketing strategy (of which we offer great packages just FYI). You may already utilise video and if you do props to you because it’s something you soon won’t be able to escape! Let’s hit you with some facts; video accounts for 74% of all web traffic, 78% of people watch videos online every week, 500 million people watch Facebook videos every day, 75% of business executives watch work-related videos at least weekly and just by putting a video on your landing page you can increase conversions by up to 80%. And breathe.
Marketers believe video marketing is effective for brand awareness, lead generation and online engagement. Not to mention that 96% of B2B companies are planning to use video in their content marketing over the next year. What’s really good about video is that it perfectly integrates into the other two marketing strategies suggested on this list, it can (and should) be included in mobile marketing and social media advertising. To use some more beloved statistics; 92% of mobile viewers share videos with others and social media videos generate 1200% more shares than text and images do alone. Like I said earlier, video marketing is the future.
So, there you have it, 3 strategies to help grow your small business! I realise that some of these suggest a financial investment but keep in mind that it’s completely up to you and your business how much money you want to put into any of these three strategies. You can put as much or as little as you want in, obviously this will have an effect on the results you see but nevertheless these strategies are affordable and have a proven success in business.